Thursday, November 4, 2010

Galatians 4 adoption to sonship

I was reading about children who live in the streets and my heart broke for them. I held my baby boy this morning and prayed for them that the Lord would help them and use us to help those that need him! Just like Christina had been talking about adoption this Chapter completely brought that subject home! As I prayed I began to see that this is how we were lost in the streets of sin without hope until we met our Saviour! He came to make everything right. Hope began to grow stronger in me for those children I was praying for because even if they are not adopted by earthly parents there is a Father that will adopt them and not only that but make them his sons for eternity!


Galatians 4:4-7 But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.[b] 6 Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba,[c] Father.” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir.


I discovered today that the Greek word for adoption to sonship is a legal term referring to the full legal standing of an adopted male heir in Roman culture.


so by Christ's blood we are redeemed and are now sons of God and because we became his sons he  sent his Holy Spirit into our hearts-we are now no longer slaves but heirs and redeemed to call him our Abba-which means father. He doesn't stop there of course because we are now his children he also made us an heir with Christ. This means that we have full access to his throne.

Hebrews 4:16 (New International Version)

16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

praise the Lord! His Word is truly alive and true and this truth continues to tear down walls that have been stubbornly taking up space in my heart that belongs to Christ alone. Because now I know that I have been adopted to Sonship I can approach his throne with confidence.

Hebrews 2: 10-18 basically rewords these beautiful truths to strengthen our faith.


10 In bringing many sons and daughters to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through what he suffered. 11 Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters.[g] 12 He says,
   “I will declare your name to my brothers and sisters;
   in the assembly I will sing your praises.”[h]
 13 And again,
   “I will put my trust in him.”[i]
   And again he says,
   “Here am I, and the children God has given me.”[j]
 14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. 16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. 17 For this reason he had to be made like them,[k] fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18 Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.



So now after believing in him to be our Savior-the center of our lives he has given us freedom to live life forever with him. We are no longer bound in fear about where we will spend eternity-we are not afraid to die because he took the fear of death away by giving us eternal life! 

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I like how you took scripture from Hebrews and worked it into today's study. I love how different scripture come together like that.

    Adoption has been on my mind as well. I can't help but pray for the 140 million orphans around the world. I wish I was able to adopt but with my husband's health (not to mention we are in our 50's), it isn't feasible. Yet these children are so heavy on my heart and I keep asking God what He is leading me to. I have no answers so I wait and listen. It's never a dull moment with God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue! I completely hear you! I was looking for the verse about approaching his throne and I got super excited when i read chapter 2 and how much it sounded like Galatians 4!
    Adoption has been on my mind since I was little I always said I wanted to adopt. My husband and I have talked about it and we will wait on the Lord.

    We will continue to pray for your family's health! The Lord be with you today and always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! I love the way the picture of adoption so clearly shows us how much He loves us as TRUE heirs and sons of God!

    ReplyDelete