Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ephesians 5 Love like Christ Loves extravagantly

Wow this chapter is so rich! I almost just want to copy the whole chapter and let that be the whole post! I don't even know where to start! So, I will start where God started with Love!

Love now a days has so many meanings. We love everything, people think that feeling desire is love, or just thinking that you have feelings for someone is love. (what does having feelings for someone mean anyway?)

But the way God has portrayed Love in the scripture leads us to understand it as a choice that must be made everyday!

Ephesians 5 (The Message)

 "1-2Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.
 3-4Don't allow love to turn into lust, setting off a downhill slide into sexual promiscuity, filthy practices, or bullying greed. Though some tongues just love the taste of gossip, those who follow Jesus have better uses for language than that. Don't talk dirty or silly. That kind of talk doesn't fit our style. Thanksgiving is our dialect."

To some people Love is one sided-"if you give me what I want or need then you love me and I can love you too"
But that is not how God Loves!! " He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us!" Wow wow wow! I want to love like that. I want to love no matter what! I want to pour out my heart for others because of Love. Hear the cry of my heart Lord! 

Paul knew that tying together this principle of loving like Christ does to marriage was essential. Marriage requires this type of love. I praise God for my husband because he is so wonderful to me. I see Christ's love in him and it pours out through him unto me!  He embodies the principle of loving me as Christ loves the Church! This in turn helps me to accept and love his authority and guidance-I respect who he is through Christ. The respect that I give him helps him renew his love for me daily. God has blessed us truly to love and be loved is wonderful! 
God knew this and wants us to experience it through Him first and also through our spouses. The beauty of experiencing this love through Christ is that we can love others the same way even if it is not in a marriage. To love the way Christ love knows no boundaries!

John 3:16 (The Message)


 16-18"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment