Friday, March 30, 2012

High Tea



I love high tea!
 I love tea time with friends! 
My friend Marie over at bakingchic inspired  to have tea almost everyday! While she lived in Ohio we loved to meet up for afternoon tea; once a week would have been wonderful but with our boys and busy life every few weeks was doable! 
We reveled in the times we spent together and before the tea time was over our hearts  were poured out to each other, and soothed were our worries and fears of motherhood.

 since my sweet friend moved away I have missed afternoon tea so I looked to invite another sweet friend over. Jenilee at ourgoodwinjourney came over with her beautiful daughters. Our friend Mindy and her sweet daughter joined us too. My little guy slept through the whole tea time-so sweet. I couldn't believe how sweet and quite the gals were. Very different from our tea time with Marie and our boys-let's say it was a little more active!

Jenilee and I are trying to eat more gluten free diet for health reasons. So I set on a quest to find gluten free yummies to serve at our tea. I was happily surprised with my discoveries!


Date and Almond Scones
ingredients
2-1/3 cups Pamela's Baking ; Pancake Mix 
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar 
1 tsp baking powder 
1/2 cup dried chopped up dates and sliced almonds
4 tbsp butter 
1 egg, beaten 
2/3 cup milk 
I adapted my recipe from this original one.

Directions

Yield: 10 to 12 scones. 

Mix the dry ingredients together. Cut in the butter using two knives. Add the milk and beaten egg. Mix together with a fork. Dough will be thick. Drop large, tall dollops of dough (scones will spread when baking) onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 15-17 minutes. 

of course I used my kitchen aid mixer for all( way easier)

we also had chicken Curry Tea Sandwiches
I adapted my recipe from this original one.



Ingredients:
2 cooked whole chicken breasts, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely-chopped red onion 
1/4 cup finely-chopped yellow or orange bell pepper
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
Salt pepper to taste 
my two favorite ingredients when preparing tea sandwiches
are dill and cumin! a pinch or more to taste is perfect
Faye Greek yogurt about 1/3 cup or more to moisten
Curry powder or paste to taste
16 slices of udis bread I discovered this gluten free bread is sturdy and perfect for tea sandwiches

Choose the best-quality white or wheat bread as possible. Never serve end slices. Freezing the bread before cutting and then spreading makes for easier handling.

Preparation:
In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, bell pepper celery, salt and spices, and yogurt; stir until well blended. Add curry powder or paste (Remember, a little goes a long way with curry - be careful). Carefully cut the crusts from each sandwich with a long, sharp knife. Cut the sandwiches in half diagonally and then cut in half again.
tea sandwiches and the beautiful banana and nutella  Macaroons from  my dear friend Abbie



We had a wonderful time and before the tea was over our hearts were poured finding encouragement, peace and joy reigned!


Gracefully Daisy

7 comments:

  1. Oh my GOODNESS Daisy!!!!!
    So in love with this POST!!! I can't get over how beautiful these pictures are of your high tea! GORGEOUS! You just got me all inspired to make these scones and those tea sandwiches look AMAZING! I can't wait to try them! You always delight me with your new recipes!
    Loved hearing about your friends and their sweet girls.
    Maybe I will have a high tea tomorrow? Wish you could come over :(
    LOVE and miss you so very much!
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scones look wonderful... What a beautiful post. I think I am going to have to make a couple of batches of scones today "Almond" and "Strawberry". The Chicken Curry Sandwiches look wonderful too. Thanks for sharing the recipes.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam you are too sweet! How were your scones?

      Delete
  3. you are such a blessing!! I SO loved having tea with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so great! Let's do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Jenilee's Mom) I talked to Annalise early this morning she told me she was going to have tea with Miss Daisy.... sounds wonderful! Loreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loreen! thanks for stopping by! your daughter and grandaughters are the best!

      Delete